Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The New Pub 42 - Dinner & Drinks Review



Cheers!


This is normally where I would say grab a beer and read up. Today though, I'd suggest a hot chocolate with a dash of peppermint schnapps. 

Alright, so this past weekend my wife and I were in the mood to check out a place we haven't been yet but also wanted it to be local as we didn't feel like venturing too far out with the weather being what it was.

After going back and forth via text message and polling my co-workers on their favorite places; we settled on Pub 42.
Now those familiar with the Plymouth, New Hope, Crystal area know this place as the "Sunshine Factory Replacement". Sunshine did move from this location in November to a newer one about 3 miles away.

When walking into Pub 42, you can tell they aren't done with the place.

The dining room is covered in paint cans and sheets to avoid spillage. You can still smell the cleaning solution that was used recently. 

But once you turn the corner, it's all better.

The bar is large and there is plenty of seating. It has a "fresh" look to it and the staff make you forget about the somewhat grumpy folks at the Sunshine Factory. 

Once seated you are greeted with a basket of popcorn to munch on while you look over the menu. Which by the way, isn't complete. They are still working out kinks and are open to any type of comments you may have about the food.

The manager and owner were very visible and made an attempt to stop at every table and ask the patrons thoughts.

I overheard one person say "Why did you open when you aren't even done with the inside?". I loved the answer.

"We just knew how much people loved the location and we wanted to keep it going", said the manager. "Not only that, this allows our customers to tell us what the like, don't like, etc."

This allowed me to forgive the off putting dinning room.

Onto the food and drink.

I had the Mushroom Swiss Bacon burger with fries. I was shocked at the quality of all the items. I washed it down with a couple Samuel Adams Cold Snaps (on special for $3) and couldn't have been more happy. 

Side note - They will have a handful of beers for $3 each day until the renovations are complete.

My wife went with the half and half combo. It consisted of a loaded baked potato soup and a cesar salad. She was underwhelmed to say the least. The soup was solid, but the salad left a lot to be desired.

I'm actually glad I didn't go here on my own as I would have raved about it. However, now knowing that every item that comes out of the kitchen isn't perfect; I might wait awhile before going back.

With all that said, it appears to have great promise. It still has that "local" bar feel to it but with a more upscale - for the area - dining experience. 

My advice - Give them a few months to finish what they are doing and head in. If anything, you will get amazing service.

Bottoms Up!
Ken 

No comments:

Post a Comment