Monday, November 25, 2013

Stub and Herb's in Dinkytown - Game Day Review




Cheers!

"Hey, let's go to Dinkytown and watch the Gopher/Badger football game", said a friend last week. I quickly agreed and considered this friend a genius.

Not only do I have a love for Gopher athletics, I am also very fond of one of the bars in the Dinkytown location.

That bar is Stub and Herb's.

Having been an iconic figure in the area since 1939 and having a slogan of, "Your Grandpa Drank Here", how can you not be intrigued to open the door? Now, I can't say this was my first time there, but it's the first time I've entered the doorway with intentions of staying coherent enough to do a write up.

Yeah, I got there at 9:30am and stayed until 8pm; and was sober. Do I consider myself a hero? No, but you can feel free to call me one the next time you see me. Anyway, back to the review.

It is true, we did get there that early. However, we had good reason. I don't know if you have a good college rivalry that you follow, but if you do, you know that campus bars can get very busy, very quickly on game day. This was no exception.

With the Badgers coming from across the border and both teams having stellar records, this was bound to be one of the most fired up Dinkytown crowds in awhile.

So, being the earlier risers that we are, we headed down and secured a large booth next to a TV. Friends that showed up later, you are welcome. The waitress quickly asked how we were doing and took our orders. Right off the bat, I knew she was going to be a rock star.

Boy was I right.

She never skipped a beat. Letting us know when she was backed up (which happened quickly once people started filing in) so we could order ahead of time; and recommending burgers that we might enjoy. I will say, the burgers and sandwiches had by the group were very, very well liked.

Not only that, the beer selection was great as well. They had a wide range of taps, bottles and cans. I mainly stuck with Surley Hell on tap, but I mixed in a tallboy of Grainbelt Premium as well.

Between the service and the food/beverage selection, this place actually blew me away. I can't thank our waitress enough and she deserved every bit of the tip she got. I also forgot to mention that they have boardgames available, which came in handy to pass the time when we first got there. Did our waitress join in? Of course she did. 

Again, I'm a huge fan of this place and encourage everyone to stop by, if even for a drink. But, do yourself a favor and grab a burger; you won't be sad that you did.  

Put it this way - If you know me, I'm a HUGE fan of the Bulldog locations. Not only for their beer selection, but also their burgers. Stubs, in my mind, took the lead on this day.

Bottoms Up!
Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment